Permits & Regulations
The Cayman Islands Film Commission (CIFC) is an agency dedicated to the development of the film industry in the Cayman Islands. Our experienced staff will assist you by expediting any permits that may be required for your production.
Please contact us for more detailed information about your specific needs. In order to receive on location support from the CIFC please review the requirements outlined below.
- A letter of intent with company information and an Application for Media Production Licence along with a script and/or storyboard if applicable.
- An estimated time period for your production in the Cayman Islands.
- An estimated overall budget, with some indication as to amount to be spent in the Cayman Islands.
- All incoming productions must provide evidence of public liability insurance for the duration of their production in the Cayman Islands.
- There should be an indication of a Completion Bond being in place from a reputable bond company.
- Permits will not be granted if the script content is detrimental to the image of the country and the people of the Cayman Islands.
- An Application for Film Incentives is required as well as proof of the following:
- A clear chain of title
- Proof of financing and/or written commitments from reputable distributor(s) to undertake distribution of the film
- The CIFC must be notified of the arrival and departure dates of ALL crew members. CIFC assistance is available in obtaining visa waivers or work permits. For further information on Cayman Islands visa requirements, please visit www.immigration.gov.ky.
- A Temporary Work Permit Application for Visiting Media Productions is required for all above the line and below the line members of the production and must be submitted at least ten (10) working days before arrival.
- All equipment to be imported (by air and/or sea freight) will require clearance. Customs duties are required, except for equipment brought in on a temporary basis in which case only an administrative fee is required.
- A Film Equipment Notification Form along with a complete equipment list must be submitted at least seven (10) working days before arrival. All equipment brought in as cargo or accompanied baggage must be checked in/out with customs on arrival and prior to check in with the airlines at the time of departure.
Expenditure Reporting Requirements
- A Production Expenditure Report must be completed and returned to the CIFC at the completion of filming in the Cayman Islands.
Last Updated: 2009-09-04